The hedge fund industry returned an average +1.21% in July 2017, bringing year-to-date (YTD) returns to +4.77%, according to the just-released July 2017 eVestment Hedge Fund Performance Report. India- and China-focused hedge funds saw especially strong results, according to the Atlanta-based investment data and analytics firm, both returning almost +5% for the month and bringing YTD returns to more than 20% for both.
July marked the ninth consecutive month of positive aggregate industry returns. Some interesting points from the new report include:
· Event Driven-Activist funds were top performers among primary strategies, returning +1.67% in July, bringing YTD returns to a healthy +7.29%.
· Among primary markets, Equity-focused funds were also strong performers, returning +1.66% in July and +7.28% YTD.
· India-focused funds continue to lead in returns, putting up +4.96% in July and bringing YTD returns to +24.90%.
· China-focused funds were also leaders, returning +4.84% in July, for YTD returns of +21.43%.
· Brazil-focused funds also saw strong July, returning +7.32%, boosting the lackluster +1.66% these funds returned over the past three months and boosting YTD returns to +11.21%. Brazil-focused funds were among the strongest performers in 2016, following dismal 2015 returns.
· In spite of an overwhelmingly positive month for hedge funds, there were still a few losers: funds primarily focused on the FX/Currency space were down -0.53% in July and funds with primary strategies in the Origination & Financing space were down -0.16% for the month.
To download the full report, please click here.